About meAbout me

My name is Molly Cunningham, I am 20 years old and I am currently studying education at the University of Victoria. I grew up in a small town, Sherwood Park, located right outside of Edmonton, AB. I have always loved the ocean and decided to move to Victoria three years ago to get away from the snow and to enjoy the beautiful scenery. I absolutely adore children, and currently nanny two adorable boys, Maxwell and James. I am passionate about the environment, feminism, dogs, learning, physical activity, and education. I am excited to be apart of my educational cohort and learn how to become a teacher children can learn and express themselves with. I believe that above all else we should be kind and supportive to one another, especially to ourselves.

My experience with primary and secondary education was not rewarding and often led me to become unmotivated to learn or pursue my interests. My teachers lacked the ability to develop my passions, and often critiqued my failures rather than embellish my strengths. I only ever managed to complete what was necessary to get the desired grade, and rarely went above and beyond to complete assignments. I feel as though my primary and secondary education failed to motivate me to succeed. Not to say I had a terrible experience or thought poorly of all of my teachers, the few teachers I did connect with showed me how fun and rewarding learning could be. My teaching philosophy is to create an expressive atmosphere where students gain a mindset to crave knowledge and encourage a growth mindset. Within the class, I want all students to feel as though they have equal chances and opportunities as one another.

I am apart of a technology class (EDCI 336), and we were asked to create this website. I am not skilled in the area of technology, however building a portfolio and uploading reflections and skills will undoubtedly increase my resources as a prospective teacher. I look forward to learning new skills in this area that I can hopefully bring forward in my future educational career.

A couple of fun facts about me is that I spend ridiculous amounts of money on plants, yet currently lack the skills to keep them alive. My favorite food is sushi, (everyone should go to Gozen in Victoria).  I have been crocheting and knitting since I was 8 and love making clothes. I do not eat meat, and try to maintain a sustainable diet to help reduce my ecological footprint. I am athletic and love to snowboard, play volleyball, handball, and skateboard.