KQED: 

This is a short video explaining the element of color and explains some detail and techniques involving tinting, shading, and toning, to use in the lesson of color.

ARTWORKS:

Here are some activities we tried in class that involve the element of colour and the use of plasticine.

INTRO TO COLOUR THEORY

The Intro to Colour Theory activity was used to give us an understanding of mixing different colours together and allow us to become comfortable with using and mixing plasticine.

Intro to colour theory, by Molly

Instructions: Using the template provided create your own version of the colour wheel, with different colour combinations and the value scale. Using the plasticine mix together primary and secondary colours to match the colour wheel. Have the students try tinting with white and ask if they notice a difference in emotion or in appearance.

Materials:

• Felt Markers
  • Paper
  • felt pen
  • Plasticine (red, blue and yellow colours needed)
PLASTICINE RELIEF:

The following activity is our own creative artwork using the technique of colour we learned, I chose to tint all of my colours to have a brighter look to it, and I as well used cool colours, green, blue, and violet.

Plasticine Relief, By Molly

Instructions: Using small cardstock, create a plasticine art piece with one style of a colour scheme, such as tinting, toning, or using complementary colours, etc. Mix together plasticine to create unique pieces that complement your style and design.

Materials:

• Plasticine
  • Cardstock paper or bristol board
Mentor Artist: BARBARA REID

Barbara Reid is an artist who uses plasticine and is magnificent at adding small detail and texture to portray very realistic artwork. She designs and writes children’s books with her beautiful art pieces. In this piece, she mixes tertiary colours (A secondary colour plus a primary color) and tinted with white. Barbara was one of my favorite artists and I hope to read her books in my future classroom one day.

Unit Plan Example
Colour and Distortion (Grad 6):

Kathleen gave us this example unit plan that gives examples of lessons for colour and distortion in a grade 6 level.