For this assignment, I created an iMovie of my teaching philosophy to bring my own story to life. I thought that if I created a visual story as well as a written response I would embed the dual-coding theory, therefore strengthening the delivery of my portfolio.

To begin, I used the Canva brochure I made earlier in the term and attached it to my teaching philosophy page. My education portfolio was posted last semester in my EPHE 311 course to showcase my educational journey. I then added the brochure and teaching philosophy video content into iMovie. I edited the videos and began enhancing the technology to integrate multimedia principles. In addition to this, I recorded an introduction as well as recorded a screencast of my portfolio to give my audience a sense of who I am.

In this course, the principles that resonated the most with me were screencasting and digital storytelling. I really enjoyed the TED X talk with Ashley Fell on “Why Storytelling is so Powerful in the Digital Era”, as it sparked a sense of curiosity and inspiration in me. I believe that the educational possibilities for digital storytelling/screencasting are endless and are essential for technological inclusion in the classroom. Studnets are able to learn through creative videos as well as create their own projects through video editing platforms. Having teachers utilize these platforms, students are then able to create their own stories digitally and increase their learning possibilities/outcomes.

Overall, my goal for this assignment was to create a screencast of my teaching philosophy, as a digital story. This then allows me to showcase my portfolio to potential employers in a real and personable way. Overall, with the abundance of technology and the internet, students are able to connect meaningfully with their projects and learn through multimedia. We as teachers can utilize these resources and create a classroom that enhances students’ knowledge intake and creates a technologically inclusive classroom.

Assignment: